I'm delighted to have my friend Erin Storie here to share some of her top health and wellness tips to get you in the best shape for the summer. In addition to her many accomplishments as a professional triathlete for Team USA, she's also a world traveler, newlywed (married fellow Team USA athlete Logan Storie) and blogger. If you looked up the definition of 'Superwoman' in the dictionary, I am convinced you'd find Erin's photo next to it. Seriously, this girl is incredibly talented, fierce, hardworking and beautiful. Scroll down to read her tips to help you look and feel your best!
Spring is in full bloom, and summer is just around the corner. This means it is the perfect time to get happy, healthy, and fit. Here's a few of my top tips to help you look and feel your best!
1. Detox from Sugar- Sugar has been shown to increase heart disease, stroke and obesity. It's time to get over the sugar addiction; a lot of foods and drinks today have processed and additive sugars in them. Sugar makes us groggy, our bodies can’t process it, and it makes us gain weight. Instead, add natural sugars into your diet like fresh fruits and veggies, honey, etc.
2. Try Overnight Oats- This is one of my go-to breakfast / anytime snacks. It's super easy and I love it because you make your own creation! This Peanut Butter version is one of my favorites!
1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk or any milk of choice
3/4 Tbsp chia seeds
2 Tbsp peanut or almond butter (creamy or crunchy) I use Wild Friends Nut Butters
1 Tbsp maple syrup (or sub coconut sugar, organic brown sugar, or stevia to taste)
1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
Sliced banana, strawberries or raspberries
Flaxseed meal or additional chia seed
Any other toppings or ingredients : nuts, fresh fruits, dried fruits
1. Add almond milk, chia seeds, peanut butter, and maple syrup (or other sweetener) to a mason jar or small bowl and stir with a spoon to combine. The peanut butter doesn't need to be completely mixed with the almond milk (doing so leaves swirls of peanut butter to enjoy the next day).
2. Add oats and stir a few more times, then press down with a spoon to ensure all oats have been moistened and are immersed in almond milk. Cover securely with a lid or plastic wrap and set in the refrigerator overnight.
3. The next day, open and enjoy as is, or garnish with desired toppings (see options above).
3. Invest in Iron, Multivitamins, and Probiotics - I am not a big fan of taking western medicine. I try to be as natural as I can. There are a few vitamins that I take every night:
- Iron- It is the substance in red blood cells that carries oxygen from your lungs to transport it throughout your body.
- A multivitamin- I want to make sure I’m getting all my nutrients in a day. Most come from food, but this is used as a back up.
- Probiotic- It is a "good" and "helpful" bacteria that helps keep our gut healthy.
4. Mental Cleanse with Yoga- This a great way to stretch and stay active, while finding a peace within ourselves. Yoga helps give us a break from the outside noise and a place to be stress free and really relax.
5. Find a Training Partner- Your friends, parents, Facebook group, pets, anyone can help us achieve success! Training with others keeps us motivated on the days that are hard, they hold us accountable, and it’s more fun with someone else. “Misery loves company!” ;)
6. Make a Change- Challenge yourself to try and learn something new. We will grow from the experiences we have in life, both positive and negative. Change something up in your regular routine so you don't get stuck in a rut. Try a new hair style, or a new breakfast recipe. This keeps life fun and allows you to really find what you like and don’t like in life.
7. Drink Water- There is nothing more purifying than water. It is zero calorie, pure, and refreshing on those hot summer days. It is also SO important for the human body, so hydrate every day, and it will help you lose weight. Replace those heavy sugary drinks for water, water, water.
8. Learn to Read Food Labels- This is one of the best fitness tips I can give you. Don't let those industries trick you with what is really in your food. Research labels for hidden ingredients, learn what is going into your body, and buy fresh food or food with few ingredients. Stay as pure as you can, and just be educated.
9. Buy New Apparel- If that means spending a little more, do it! It pays to buy the right size sports bras and shoes. Having the right size shoes will prevent you from injury (I suggest Brooks). The right sports bra fabric will prevent chaffing, and the right socks won’t give you blisters (My favorite is Swiftwick).
10. Sleep- My final tip is to sleep more! Sleep makes you feel better, and its importance goes way beyond just boosting your mood or banishing under-eye circles. Adequate sleep is a key part of a healthy lifestyle, and can benefit your heart, weight, mind, and more. Go to bed early, wake up early!